Forms for Fellowship, examinations and other activities can be download here. Given below is the list of topics.
Requirement for Fellowship
It is desirable that all applicants should know the rules for eligibility for Fellowship of the Indian Section, as also be aware of the requirements for continuing Fellowship in the Indian Section.
All applications must be made to the Secretary, International College of Surgeon - Indian Section in the prescribed application form in duplicate accompanied with letters of recommendation as mentioned below in No.7.
An Applicant for Fellowship of the Indian Section of the International College of Surgeons shall be required to have the following minimum requirements, as also provide full information as detailed below:
1. An applicant must be holding a post-graduate degree qualification, M.S. M.D., M.Ch, F.R.C.S., M.N.A.M.S or equivalent. Diploma holders will not be eligible for Fellowship. Must have worked as a surgeon after post graduation in a teaching institution / Government Hospital / Private Hospital with a minimum of a thirty surgical beds. Must have registration with the State Medical Council.
2. Independent practice limited to General Surgery or any other specialties including Gynecology and Obstetrics and Ophthalmology for at least 5 years after post-graduation or allied Sciences such as Radiology, Anesthesiology or basic sciences such as Anatomy, Physiology, Bio-Chemistry and Pathology.
3. Moral and ethical fitness.
4. Membership of the Indian Medical Association and/or any specialist National Association or Society.
5. Applicant not affiliated to a teaching institution should have attended at least recognized Surgical Conferences.
6. Applicant affiliated to a teaching institution should have at least two scientific publication in standard medical journals or should have presented three papers in recognized conferences, before being considered eligible for Fellowship and should have attended at least four recognized surgical conferences.
7. Candidates should submit duly certified by competent authorities, a list of operations performed during one preceding year. Adequate surgical operative experience is necessary for admission to the Fellowship of the College. Weightage will be given to published experimental or clinical work. Applicant must provide names of at least four refers two Fellows and two non-Fellows. The two Fellows should be active Fellows of at least five years standing. Their Recommendation letters must be submitted along with the application.
Credentials Committee will consist of nine experienced surgeons, six of whom must be active senior teachers in various disciplines of surgery. Every candidate must be interviewed by all of them. Meeting the Credentials Committee will not be waived under circumstances. Last date for receiving applications for Membership will be 31st July each year, after which the application will not be considered for the Credentials Committee Meeting for the year, but will be carried forward to the next meeting.
Retaining Fellowship to ICSIS
a) Obligatory to attend one annual meeting in three years and every Zonal meeting.
b) Fellows who fail to pay subscriptions for two consecutive years will be issued remainders. Their names will be struck off the roaster for non-payment after six months of the remainder. The diploma certificates will be withdrawn / revoked and has to be returned to the Head Office.
c) We have a scheme to ensure that your annual subscription is in time. You will be required to send us a Demand Draft / Cheques for Rs.20000/- drawn in favour of I. C. S. Indian Section (add Rs.60/- more for outstation cheques). This money will be invested by us at our banks and defray your annual subscription of Rs.2000/- in advance on or before 30th November each year.
This will ensure that you receive the Journal regularly. In case the annual subscription is enhanced in future, you will have to enhance the F.D. amount proportionately which will be advised to you.
Procedure for considering Applicants for Fellowship:
1. Any post – graduate who satisfies the above requirements can apply in the prescribed application
form in duplicate to the Honorary Secretary.
2. Each person given as a referee will be approached by the Administrative Office to furnish a
statement regarding the applicant’s professional qualifications as a Surgeon and his moral and ethical standard.
3. The application receives the attention of:
(a)The Administrative Office of the Indian Section.
(b)The Credentials Committee which appraises information and recommendations from all
4. The applicant is afforded an opportunity of a personal interview with the Credential Committee
once a year at the time of the annual conference.
5. The International Executive Council will consider the recommendations of the Credentials Committee and will inform the Indian Section of acceptance, postponement or non-acceptance of candidates as a Fellow of the International College of Surgeons. (This procedure may involve a period of some months even after the interview with the Credentials Committee in view of the time taken for correspondence and the timing of the meeting of the Executive Council at the Head Office)
6. The Indian Section has no right to issue the diploma of Fellowship. It is issued by the Central Office after acceptance by the International Executive Council. The initiates are required to sign the Pledge of Fellowship. The diploma will be conferred on them at a Convocation ceremony which will ordinarily be held at the time of the annual conference. It is obligatory that the diploma be received in person.
7. The annual subscription as may be fixed by the International College of Surgeons, Indian Section, from time to time, is to be paid when the applicant is informed that he has been accepted as a Fellow and the subsequent yearly subscriptions are to be paid to the secretariat by 30th November of the previous year.
Fellowship Fees and Dues / Regulations:
- Application Form & Processing Fee - Rs. 1000
- Admission Fee - Rs.4000
- Diploma Certificate Fee - Rs.7000
- Convocation Fee - Rs.3000
The above fees are to be sent along with the application form duly filled in, by way of demand draft in favour of “International College of Surgeons”. In case of cheque, please add Rs.80/- more for bank charges. However, if the Credentials Committee finds an applicant unacceptable, the above amount except the Application Form & Processing fees of Rs.1000/- will be refunded.
The applicant for Fellowship shall oblige to sign the following statement "In making the application for Fellowship in the International College of Surgeons. I agree to abide by the Constitution and Bylaws of the College and by such rules and regulations as may be enacted from time to time. I hereby undertake to return the diploma Certificate and the surgical passport to the Honorary Secretary. Indian Section in the event of my being expelled from membership due to non-payment of annual dues or any other reasons"
[Download Membership Form]
Mumbai Asia-pacificon2005 Travelling Fellowship:
The International College of Surgeons (Indian Section) has instituted the “MUMBAI ASIAPACIFICON-2005 TRAVELLING FELLOWSHIPS” from the year 2007. The aim of these fellowship grants is to provide partial financial support to young surgeons visiting a centre in India or abroad to enhance their knowledge / clinical skills. Two Fellowships will be awarded each year. The Mumbai ASIAPACIFICON-2005 Travelling Fellowship (National) - for visiting a centre in India AND The Mumbai ASIAPACIFICON-2005 Travelling Fellowship (International) -for visiting a centre overseas. The National ASIAPACIFICON-2005 Fellowship carries an award of Rs. 15,000/- & The International ASIAPACIFICON-2005 Fellowship carries an award of Rs. 35,000/-. The applicant may belong to any branch of surgery. A Fellow / Associate Fellow of the International College of Surgeons (Indian Section) in good standing would be given preference. He / she should be under 40 years of age in the year of applying for the fellowship. Candidates working in teaching / private hospitals or in private practice are eligible to apply. He / she should possess a postgraduate qualification (M.S. / M.D. / D. N. B.) in the respective speciality. Applications must be made in the prescribed form available at the Office of the International College of Surgeons, Indian Section.